27 September 2008

Museo Pambata, Luneta Hotel and National Library all in one day!

I had plans to visit the Museo Pambata at 8 AM but ended up slumbering in my bed until 10 AM. The timing can never be perfect because I had been wanting to go the National Library to do some research on the history of Philippine postcards for my other blog. The last time I visited the library was in 2001 when I applied for a library card, which I wasn't able to get and use. Now I have more reasons to visit the library. But my research was cut short because of the commotion of the students in the room. They were rushing to get out because of the earthquake (which twice shaked the building!). Honestly I only felt the second one, and it didn't bother me at all that I still continued reading my books. But for everyone's safety the librarians decided that all should empty the building. With a disappointment in my face, I exited the room and decided to just visit the old Luneta Hotel, one of the few remaining structures that survived World War II. One can easily recognize the hotel if one is leaving the library. I was tempted to enter with hotel (which was undergoing renovation) but decided it's not a good idea (Am alone and an aftershock worried me and workers in the building.) It's the old, abandoned building at the corner of Kalaw and Roxas Boulevard which once was one of the most elegant hotels in Manila. Unfortunately I wasn't able to take any photos.

No comments: